Lands, Housing and Urban Planning is one of the transferred functions from the Nairobi County Government. The current service delivery initiative under this function is streamlining approval of development applications in Nairobi Metropolitan and the operationalization of the e-Construction and e-Permits systems.
According to the mandate of NMS, we have been able to achieve the following thus far;
- Cleared a backlog of over 4,400 development applications.
- Commenced implementation of Urban renewal projects at Pangani & Jevanjee to provide 3,362 housing units.
- Establishment of the Railway City Development Authority through a Gazette notice, Legal Notice No. 88 of 2020 published on 13th May, 2020.
- Formation of an Implementation Committee to spearhead the operationalization of the Authority, develop framework for actualizing the Railway City, identify anchor projects and investors.
- Slum upgrading initiatives in Mukuru & Kibra.
- Mukuru Informal Settlement Renewal Programme
- Kibra informal settlement declared a Special Planning Area under the
- Physical and Land Use Planning Act on 26th May, 2020 to pave way for planning.
- Appraisal of markets in the city as a precursor for rehabilitation.